The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, & funds with the intention to generate social & environmental impact alongside a financial return. They are made in emerging and developed markets & can target a range of returns.
Ultimately, the GIIN focuses on reducing barriers to impact investment so more investors can allocate capital to fund solutions to the world’s most intractable challenges. We do this by building critical infrastructure and developing activities, education, and research that help accelerate the development of a coherent impact investing industry.
The GIIN addresses barriers to effective impact investing by building infrastructure & developing activities, education, & research that attract investment capital to address social problems.
The GIIN has five initiatives:
• Network membership: for organizations interested in deepening their engagement with the impact investing industry.
• IRIS : a set of metrics that can be used to measure & describe an organization’s social, environmental, & financial performance.
• ImpactBase: the online global directory of impact investment vehicles. Fund & product managers increase visibility with investors by creating impact investment profiles. Accredited investors & advisors subscribe to learn about funds & products that match their objectives.
• Investors’ Council: an exclusive leadership group for active large-scale impact investors.
• Outreach: highlights impact investments, working with partners to inform event programming & promote media coverage. In addition, the GIIN’s practitioner-focused research draws on its industry networks and leverages data gathered through its programs.